Wednesday 28 July 2010

Amy, Sweet Amy.

I'm yet to do a name post on my blog, which seems odd as they are such a (rather bizarre) passion of mine. Still, there's a first time for everything, and I think I can say that this is the first time for a name to take centre stage on here. Non-name lovers, please bear with me.

From behindthename.com :
AMY

Gender: Feminine

Usage: English

Pronounced: AY-mee
English form of the Old French name Amée meaning "beloved" (modern French aimée), a vernacular form of the Latin Amata. As an English name, it was in use in the Middle Ages (though not common) and was revived in the 19th century.


Sweet sound, lovely meaning, fair usage, no obvious teasing potential...this seems like the perfect name choice. It is not so popular these days, but it IS heard of, which makes it an excellent option for any parent to be (unless, you know, they have some terrible personal association with the name). Yes, lovely. Hence it's position on my main list of favourite names. But why only my main list, I hear you ask? Well, it's me isn't it? I like things interesting, just that little bit more unusual, and whilst Amy is utterly charming, it lacks that spark; I can't see it wowing people so much, I doubt anyone would think twice about meeting someone named Amy.

It would seem then, that fair Amy needs a little spicing up. Parents could always go for the more elaborate French version (Aimée) but I find that just a little too fussy. I mean, don't get me wrong, it is beautiful. BUT, if a little bit more spark and interest is what you're looking for, this barely fits the bill. It's pretty much the same name, just with some more letters and an accent thrown in. Charming, but not altogether different when spoken. From my experience, I think there are two ways in which Amy can become just that little bit more interesting: NICKNAME and MIDDLE NAME.

Nickname
I have heard a couple of Amy's say that they see nothing wrong with their name, as such, but have always wished it were longer, or a nickname for something longer. So, what names could Amy be a nickname for? This is what I've come up with (of course, some are more usable than others):

Amalia
Amabel
Amadea
Amelia
Amélie
Amethyst
Amia
Amira
Amity
Araminta


Middle Name
I think Amy is so unexpected as a middle name choice that it instantly becomes fresh and new again. It can sweeten a more heavy first name, or tone down a more elaborate first name. Here's some combos I've come up with:

Beatrix Amy
Constance Amy
Delphine Amy
Genevieve Amy
Rosamund Amy
Temperance Amy
Vivienne Amy
Winifred Amy


So there we have it, my first "Name In The Spotlight" if you will. Probably a bit more detailed than any further name mentions will be, but the name Amy was just being discussed on the forum I visit, and it led to some interesting thoughts on my part. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment