Thursday 8 July 2010

That's alright because I like the way it hurts.

Yes, I am officially basing my blog around a song that features Rihanna, the singer I have on many occasions said I have an 'irrational hatred' of. Lately, though, I have warmed to a couple of her songs. 'Rude Boy', for example, is pretty cool...if a little boring to my ears now, and 'Te Amo' has a cool Summery vibe about it, which I like. Of course, the song in question today is the Eminem one that she is featured on, 'Love The Way You Lie'.

Just gonna stand there and watch me burn
Well that's alright because I like the way it hurts
Just gonna stand there and hear me cry
Well that's alright because I love the way you lie
Love the way you lie

It makes sense, it really does. It seems to me that most people will feel at least a little like this at some point in their lives, some more than others. It's that feeling where you're pretty certain that some person in your life isn't really that fussed about you, that they're just taking advantage of your good nature or whatever, but you're somehow ok with that because a life with them hurting you seems to be better than a life without them at all.

Like the way it hurts.
Not necessarily the pain itself, rather the feeling that that person is still there, that they're in your life. For some reason, if you care about them that much, it doesn't matter whether the only way you really feel them in your life is through the pain they cause you, as long as you still feel their presence. It's that whole idea of wanting the pain purely so you feel something, making you feel real and safe, regardless of whether you actually are. When writing about it objectively, it seems so stupid, but when you're in the situation there is no objectivity, you stick with it because you don't want to think about the alternative, the life without them. Perhaps the thought is too scary, or perhaps you just love them too much.

Love the way you lie.
Of course you do. It means that, even for a second, you can believe that they are the person you want them to be, the friend they always say they are. Their actions often say otherwise, but occasionally they might do or say something completely amazing, that pulls you right back and makes you give them a second chance. In life, in friendships and romantic relationships and many other situations, we all want to believe the lies, we love them, because they give us that false hope. It's like the semi-famous saying, 'lies are easier to believe than the truth'. And they are. We tell white lies all the time, to stop ourselves from hurting someone else. Sometimes that's fine, but I'm a firm believer that honesty really is the best policy in the majority of circumstances. Especially if the person kinda knows the truth already, and your lies are just helping feed their fantasy, helping them to ignore the truth and lie to themselves. All this reminds me of the Paramore lyric: If you wanna play this like a game, well come on, come on let's play. Cuz I'd rather waste my time pretending, than have to forget you for one whole minute. I get it, I do, but it's always struck me as odd. Of course you don't want to forget the person, but there comes a time when enough really is enough.

I guess what I'm saying is that, so often in our lives, we're willing to believe lies and we're willing to get hurt, purely because it seems easier than just walking away. If we ever get a glimpse of a life away from that, though, we can see that, actually, it's not so bad. In fact, it's often even better. The truth does hurt, it hurts a whole lot, but it also sets you free. So, in the long run, I can't see how it's not the better option. After putting up with so much hurt, I guess it would be a relief to finally walk away, despite how difficult it might be at first.

So, I guess I should say GO RIHANNA! And, of course, Eminem, but saying he rules has never been as difficult as admitting my newfound love of some of Rihanna's work. Eminem's just amazing anyway. :)

2 comments:

  1. I genuinely just sat here laughing at the fact that I thought you'd mis-spelt burn in the first line and instead put 'bum', cos the letters look like they merge. Gave the lyrics a whooooole new meaning :P:P hahahahahahahaHA!

    ly - Deb xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have noticed the similarities between 'burn' and 'bum' too. Crazy. xD xx

    ReplyDelete